Pages

Saturday, January 2, 2016

2nd Grade Artist Books

Here is a look at the "Artist Book" I created for my second graders to use each time they are introduced to a new artist. Second grade curriculum is all focused on artists so this is a great way to track what they learned.
 When we start the year with our first artist they get the cover page and their first empty page. They fill out just the front of the page when the artist is introduced and then when we finish the project they complete the second page.


The pages are pre-3-hole punched and the books are held together with brad fasteners. Each page gets added as we go.

It seems to be just the right amount of writing for second grade. We fill out most of it together on the SMART Board and they are responsible for doing only two sentences that are entirely their own. I used to get complaints from students about having to write in Art but the longer I am teaching the less of those comments. I think because we are starting to put literacy in every subject they just go with the flow.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I like the map idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this! I am not an art teacher, but I love making art of all kinds and recently spent some time with nieces and nephews making small paintings on 8 x 8 canvases. We had a great time, but I noticed that my 9 yr. old niece struggled greatly. She WANTED to paint, but was not happy with her work and was so controlled that she had a hard time finishing just a background of one solid color to her satisfaction. I tried saying all the encouraging things and reminding her that none of us are perfect and that no art is perfect. That we can only try and learn from what we do so we can try to improve the next time. Her fear of failing literally froze her forward progress. I wonder if you could suggest ways I can help her loosen up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see that a lot in my students. I would try more experimental art with her to loosen her up. Lookup marble painting or spaghetti painting. Good ol fashion splatter painting too or a large scale really gets kids excited and care less about the final product and more about the process.

      Delete